This year has been difficult! For pretty much everybody, in all walks of life, all over the world. Everyone has been affected in unexpected ways, and the aerial community is certainly no exception.
At the same time, we believe that there is always some good that comes out of the bad, or, there’s at least a way to put a positive SPIN on any situation.
Whether that’s spending more time with family, or being forced to take a long-needed rest, there is always some good to find.*
*[We do NOT say this to discount or downplay the very real, sometimes debilitating hardship that people are facing in varying degrees, but rather to provide a silver lining for those who would find this exercise useful.]
Gratitude journaling has been proven to improve mental health, increase happiness, help you sleep better, improve relationships, and increase resilience, so we decided to give it a try! Here are 10 good things that have happened in our community this year:
1. Our dedicated students and teachers took a much needed REST, which was especially helpful for those who were overtraining and needing to nurse minor injuries!
2. Systemic racism has [finally] become top of mind for many in the aerial community, and many are taking steps forward to make the community more inclusive!
3. Many people have been able to foster non-aerial interests and hobbies!
4. Many studios have revamped their hygienic procedures that will make studios even safer moving forward!
5. Aerial community members have fostered relationships with each other outside of the studio, via scheduled Zoom hangouts and virtual game nights!
6. Some advanced students invested in free-standing rigs and can now train at home!
7. With the studio closures, many students have integrated cross-training on the floor that they may not have made time for in the past, like flexibility, dance, and Pilates!
8. Class sizes will be smaller, so many students will receive more focused instruction!
9. Virtual coaching as an industry has taken leaps forward, and will continue to grow!
10. Many of us have been given the opportunity to re-evaluate what is really important and essential in our lives, which has made us strive to be more intentional in our day-to-day!
Whewf, this certainly made us feel better! While this doesn’t solve the challenges that we are facing, it definitely helps put things into perspective.
If this sounds fun, we encourage you to write about the good that has happened in YOUR life/communities this year!
Unsure where to start? Here are some journal prompts to get you started:
What was your happiest memory this year?
What is a song that makes you smile, and why do you like it?
What body part or organ are you most grateful for today and why?
What is one aspect of your health that you’re grateful for?
List 10 items you take for granted that might not be available to others in different circumstances.
What is your favorite food you love to indulge in?
List 3 people who have been with you this year. Write a sentence about why you like/love each person (at least 3 sentences total).
What is something that you are proud of from this year?
Write about a recent obstacle you faced and how you overcame it.
List 3 hobbies or activities you’ve been doing that bring you joy.
What is one thing you look forward to every day?
What’s something that you’ve been able to do this year that you couldn’t before 2020?
What is a mistake you made this year that ultimately led to a positive experience?
What do you like most about where you live?
List 10 qualities you like about yourself.
Describe your favorite location in your house/apartment/other and why you like it.
What is something you’ve learned this year that you’re thankful for?
Did you find this helpful? Let us know!
Send us a DM on Instagram @aerialphysique or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org